Yellow Ribbon is a National Best Practices Program.
People in many roles at all levels of the community should be trained in community readiness and suicide prevention.
Yellow Ribbon’s Core Concept is to provide programs that empower youth/young people, their parents and adults who work with youth (teachers, counselors, first responders, and faith leaders) in learning how to confront the issues of suicide and suicide prevention and to be engaged in suicide prevention effectively at their own comfort level. Having a community with basically trained gatekeepers that can help people in need reach advanced trained gatekeepers/ professional help is key to empowering entire communities.
GOALS OF TRAINING
To follow the recommended sequence: adults first (school/community leaders, professionals), youth leaders, then all youth to:
- Increase public awareness of suicidal risks and warning signs;
- Increase awareness of simple intervention techniques;
- Increase awareness of community resources and how to access them;
- Help reduce the public stigmas associated with youth depression and suicide
Increase help-seeking behaviors
- Training for Trainers Workshop (2-Day) > Flyer
(Can include Youth Leaders (ages 16 & up)
- School Staff (2-1/2 hours)
Educators, staff (certified & classified), aides, and volunteers
- First Responders (EMS &/or LE) (2-1/2 hours)
Addresses your roles as a professional, colleague and civilian; family, neighbor, friend
- Faith Leaders (2-1/2 hours)
Addresses your roles as a minister/clergy, community leader, colleague and family member/neighbor
- Community Gatekeepers (community members and leaders) (1-1/2 hours)
Appropriate for any adult, professional and non-professional. A community approach of educating and empowering community members in simple, effective tools to be-a-link-to-life filling the gap between people in need and help/resources.
- Peer Leaders (2-1/2 hours)
- Students / Youth Ask 4 Help Training(1 – 1-1/2 hours)
- Student assemblies, classrooms, youth groups, conferences
- Adults working with children – suicide prevention training (2-1/2 hours)
- Children: a primary ‘upstream’ prevention approach so by the time they reach adolescence, help seeking behavior is ingrained.
Upcoming training days/workshops:
- February 9-10, 2017
- June 15-16, 2017
To learn more about our Training Programs or about communities that have existing Yellow Ribbon Programs, please contact us at email@example.com